view thread

Don't Wanna Be (Daniel Johns)

Discussion Board

Thread 30

"Don't Wanna Be (Daniel Johns)" by Kelly on Wed Oct 24, 2001 09:59
Hello there. Here are my thoughts. The song could be funny. The song could also be incredibally mean. Now, before I continue, I insist that anyone reading this get off their pretentious high horse and realize that I am a human being with intelligent thoughts who would appreciate it if you would take my opinion at face value and not simply disregard it because I am defending Silverchair. Onto my thoughts. Silverchair is a fantastic band. I am sorry that you do not share that same opinion, but defending your opinion by saying that they "have lots of stolen riffs" is very hypocritical. Music has been a part of the lives of man since the Homo sapiens(neanderthalis) and Cro magnon. People have been recording and making music. There are only so many guitar chords in the entire world. Sometimes things sound similar, but I think that you need to realize that any other person could find a song and share with you spots in which you used similar, if not the same riffs or chords . I enjoy Daniel Johns' poetry. It's your opinion not to and all... Your perogative, but it is very wrong to judge someones deep emotions. Everyone has issues that they need to work out. I write poetry. I work out my emotions and occasionally write songs. I don't necessarily think my poetry is spectacular, but I would consider it very wrong for someone to tell me that it is "Bad" because they do not understand what I went through or what exactly I am saying. Also, they wrote "Frogstomp" when they were 13,14,or 15 years old. Dear God. I think it is fantasic for adolescent boys. Honestly. Also, their current records are getting better and better in the use of word painting and symbolism. I love it, and I am sorry if you don't appreciate the little details which I hold as the most endearing. I think that you have to realize that you are going to upset lots of peoples feelings. ~Keep writing music. ~Kelly