view thread

Don't Wanna Be (Daniel Johns)

Discussion Board

Thread 76

my view by lauren on Tue Jan 14, 2003 14:03
ok, well i have to agree that the 'punk rock' thing is very stupid.. but then again, do you hear daniel say hes punk rock, no, its people that are prejudice,and you seem very stereotypical. you say ur punk rock- well the true 'punk rock' wouldnt say they were 'punk' like avril lavine- take into consideration that the people that are doing what they want to do- dont place themselves into a catagory- like you- you may be doing what you want to do- but then its you be 'you' and not 'punk' so you are very critical and a big hypocrite. Have you ever talked to daniel? or silverchair? listen to any of their music lately or interviews? or tried to understand, they were 14 years old when they made their first ablum- i give them a lot of credit- i mean- try to remember what you were like when you were 14 - confused- under stress because of high school- remember your main influences- and then just imagine one day you wake up and people WORSHIP you- its kinda like jesus haha! do you really think they new what they wanted to do- NO they were just having fun and then someone comes up to them and says hey you won a free recording now this will be your career for the rest of your life- you have one day to make it work! so im not saying that i disagree with you- really like silverchair because they are true to themselves- if they werent- they probably would have let that free recording turn them into bubble gum pop- instead they actually played! now if you make fun of the band- thats fine- but attacking a person- especially someone you dont even know -through the media- which might i add- real 'punk rock' arent sell outs- doesnt that seem very shallow of you... im just trying to look at this from all perspectives- and infact you have every right to say what you said- but what you said isnt right- infact its very false- and harsh- how would you like it now if everyone judged you on the color of you hair or something that has nothing to do with you. Its funny- but im offended, because your idea of a joke has shut someone down- someone that deserves as much of a chance as you- i think you need to realize that you made a mistake, you were very prejudice and very wrong- daniel fights battles of anorexia- openly- which not many people can- hes a vegan- hes a mulitalented artist- but mainly hes just a human- people make mistakes- its natural- but its very wrong to hold gruges towards people that you dont know... and im just going to do exactly what you did to daniel- but dont take it seriously or anything- ( being sarcastic) you think you're punk rock! why try to place yourself in a group when you can be different- dont try to be different just for the sake of being different which seems to be who you are trying to be- u make fun of someone because of the statement of another- you've cheated yourself a fair chance to learn the truth and humiliated another person- what if that was you someone was singing about- and you knew it was all wrong- but you couldnt do anything about it because people think they are following a leader- but they arent really following a leader, they are following a follower... what good have you done to anything but manipulated someone and broke them down without letting them defend themselves- but dont you worry, cuz you think your right- cuz your in a 'punk rock' band! have fun being 'punk rock' which by the way, is just another crowd!
rewriten( with page breaks!) by lauren on Thu Jan 16, 2003 09:11
You seem to be extremely prejudice and stereotypical. You say you are 'punk' but the true 'punk rocker' wouldnt catagorize themselves. I guess you know that, considering you are 'punk' and all. The whole 'punk' idea is to not judge, be different, and except everyone. You dont have to like them, but you can at least respect them. You may be doing what you want to do, but then why dont you say 'this is us' and not ' we are punks' So basically you are being a hypocrite(and you arent living up to 'punk' law- i bet the punk community is pretty dissappointed in you*being sarcastic*) Daniel/ silverchair never said he/they was/were 'punk' but unfortunately there is too much media and too many followers that love to catagorize. Have you ever actually talked to Daniel? Have you listened to any of silverchairs music lately? have you read up about any of them? Well considering you are 'punk' and all, i would think you ,out of anyone/ group, would realize the BS the media feeds people. But i guess not. They were 14 years old when they made their first ablum. now think about what you were like when you were 14- confused, stressed over the simplest things- not thinking about a life altering decision- Do you remember your main influences? Now just imagine at 14 you're asked to record an album thats going to be played worldwide! It will make or break your dream! I give them credit for not letting themselves be changed into a bubble gum pop boy group. They had one day to make it work... and they did it- might i add- they did it well! Im not saying i disagree with you. I really like silverchair and daniel because they/he are/is true to themselves/himself ( even if you dont see it) If they/he werent/wasnt, they/he wouldnt have survived these past years- especially being swamped by people they/he dont/doesnt even know, critizing them/him and telling them/him that they/he are/is terrible. I dont think you'd like it very much if a total stranger took your dream and bruised it. It just goes to show that Daniel is stronger than you because he didnt come back and act immature about it. Im just trying to look at it through a different perspective. You have every right to make that song (and whatnot), but that doesnt mean its right. What you did is hurtful, harsh and not to mention false. Your idea of a joke has shut someone down, someone that deserves as much of a chance as you . You were very prejudice and very wrong. What if you were that someone being made fun of. You may say you wouldnt care, and you might not, but always take into consideration that people's reactions are different and somethings will hit you later or subconsciously. Daniel fought anorexia-openly- which not many men can do or people for that matter, he's a vegan, hes a multi-talented artist, but mainly, hes a human. im going to prejudge you- just as you did to Daniel- though not as harsh. But dont take it seriously or anything ( mocking you) You think you are ' punk'? Why try to place yourself in a group, when you can be different. Dont try to be different just for the sake of being different, though that seems to be who you are. What have you done to help the world ? daniels a vegan! you just make noise. you cant fathom anything or for that matter anyone. not that you care since you seem to be full of yourself ( which band member is most attractive?- my answer- not you cuz i dont look for looks. I look for personality, but you seem to lack in both) You think you made a statement by following an opinion. someday, you will be the one being made fun of and you will know its all wrong, but you wont be able to do anything about it because you cant change the minds of so many people who think they are following a leader (they arent. They are following a follower, which is worse!) you will feel manipulated. And you will be mad because not one person will give you a chance to defend yourself. But dont worry! You think you're right! and thats all that will ever matter cuz you're soo 'punk' and your in a 'punk rock' band! Have fun being 'punk'! Which by the way is just another crowd... and it just goes to show, your just another follower....
Re: my view by shane on Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:00
whoa, page breaks please